Friday, January 29, 2010

The weather is cold. Colder than cold. I am very comfy in my warm house with my blanket wrapped around me and my kitty cat on my lap. It just occurred to me that I have no drafty windows, insulation runs throughout my house, hot water flows through my pipes with the turn of a knob, and I don't even need to leave the kitchen sink dripping to keep frozen pipes away. My toilet works. Scratch that. My THREE toilets work. I have more blankets than people living here. More pillows than heads to lay on. My oven works fine, and it is not heating my house.

I am rich. I am filthy rich. Yet, other people see my house as average, my car as a little less than average, and my cell phone as just another phone in the bunch. It is very difficult at times to not think the same thing. If I measure myself to the standards of those living around me, I become disgustingly arrogant. I think to myself, I deserve better than this! I have a master's degree, and I can't even afford to upgrade my cable! I do not see the people who do not have hot water, or even water at all. In my selfishness, I forget about the children that are praying for an extra blanket. I have plenty, and yet I want more.

I am guessing that if I give as much as I can, my priorities will be a little different. I will remember others who are not rich. I will stop comparing myself to people in my life that have as much or more, and I will start actively searching for those who are in need.

This weekend, you will find me in my closet getting rid of article after article of clothing. Not the worst ones, either. Everything I don't need. Hopefully, this is only the beginning...

No comments: