Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday's Munchies: Meatloaf!

Meatloaf is the ultimate food for all-inclusive, easy, and inexpensive. And best of all, my whole family likes Mom's meatloaf! The funny thing is, my meatloaf is different every time, because I throw whatever healthy thing I have at the moment in the meatloaf. Here is my base recipe before I start adding things:

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1 c. bread crumbs
4 Tbsp. Ketchup
1/2 c. milk
1 pkg. soup mix (if I have it)

Mix all ingredients together. Form into loaf and place in pan. Bake at 350 F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

I always add stuff. I usually start with adding wheat germ (about a Tbsp. or two). I will almost always hide a vegetable or two that my daughter wouldn't eat otherwise. Take out a bag of veggies or mixed veggies from your freezer, microwave them until tender, then blend them until they are a consistency that will hide easily (not quite pureed, but close). Often I will replace ground turkey for the beef, but only if I have a pkg. of soup mix to season it a bit (I like to use either onion soup mix or vegetable soup mix).

The trick is to be as sneaky as possible with your added nutrients, and not only will your family eat healthier than they think, but you will have a good time pulling the wool over their shoulders. Hee hee.

Happy Eating!

No comments: