Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday's Munchies...Waffles!

Are you feeling the effects of the Eggo shortage? Due to flooding and other plant problems, Eggo is rationing their waffles, and many store shelves are empty. This gives new meaning to Leggo My Eggo!

I am a huge fan of Eggo brand waffles. However, after getting on my all natural and organic kick, I realized that even though I may not be able to recreate the taste of the Eggo brand specifically, I can make a healthier waffle at home that I feel comfortable letting my toddler eat that can also be quite tasty. So for Christmas, I asked for a waffle iron, and my family has been very satisfied with the results. For me, the time I take to make homemade outweighs the convenience of packaged, expensive, white flour frozen waffles

Every few weeks, I plan on making up a big batch of blueberry waffles to freeze. Homemade waffles will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Here is the recipe that seems to work for me at the moment.

Homemade Waffles
2 Cups 50/50 flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1-3/4 Cups milk (I use whole milk for my toddler, but you can use reduced fat if you want)
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 Cup blueberries (can be fresh or frozen)

Place first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine until well blended and smooth. Fold in blueberries. Let batter sit for 5 minutes before using. Bake in a preheated waffle iron following manufacturer's directions or until waffles are golden brown.

To freeze: Before freezing waffles, cool completely on wire racks. Heat directly from freezer in toaster or toaster oven just as you would with store bought waffles.

The next time I make waffles, I plan on using Super Flour, which is flour mixed with nutritional add-ins by Ruth Yaron in her book, "Super Baby Food." My favorite version of Super Flour is to put 1 Tbsp. soy flour, 1 Tbsp. instant dry milk, and 1 tsp. wheat flour in a measuring cup, then adding 50/50 flour to top off cup to equal 1 cup of Super Flour. Thanks Ruth Yaron!

2 comments:

Christie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

testing yet again...